Friday 31 October 2008

Simon Cowell to save Christmas Top of the Pops?

There will be one less TV programme to watch this Christmas... probably. The BBC have said they will not be producing a special Top of the Pops show this year.

The music show ran for 42 years before being withdrawn in 2006. The BBC have always said previous that they would continue to make the traditional Christmas special. With increased competition from other media streams such as MTV and Youtube, it looks like they have changed their minds.

Enter X Factor head honcho, Simon Cowell,

Cowell told The Sun,

“I’ve got a suggestion for them. If they don’t want it, I’ll take it. I’m serious. They can give it to me or I will give them a bit of money. Why end the tradition? It’s like not having Christmas pudding. I don’t believe in breaking with tradition. It’ll be weird not having it there. It’s like one less present to open. I can see how it’s less popular now, with MTV and YouTube, but I always thought it would stay. I really want it back. It’s not too late for the BBC to change their minds. It would be brilliant.”


Later, with ideas to move the Top of the Pops format to ITV, Mr Cowell added,

"I would rather it came to us than just sit in the dustbin. It's been a good year for music and I think it's part of the tradition. It's not as though people aren't interested in music at the moment,"


The BBC have yet to say whether Simon Cowell has made firm any offer for the rights to the show. Hopefully he does because it would be great to see Top of The Pops back on the air and with Cowell, you can trust it will be in a safe pair of hands.





www.jenkin7.co.uk - Giftware & Collectables. Egyptian figures, Gothic skulls, Wicca / Wiccan, Gargoyles, Fairies & Angels & much more
www.jenkin7.co.uk

0 comments: